Story 1- DAGON

I'm composing this under a calculable mental strain since by this evening I will be no more. Destitute, and toward the finish of my stock of the medication which alone makes life tolerable, I can bear the torment no more; and will protect myself from this garret window into the foul road underneath. Try not to think from my subjugation to morphine that I am a wimp or a ruffian. At the point when you have perused these hurriedly scribbled pages, you might figure, however never completely understand, why it is that I should have absent-mindedness or passing.
It was in one of the most open and least visited pieces of the expansive Pacific that the parcel of which I was supercargo fell a casualty to the German ocean plunderer. The extraordinary conflict was then at its earliest reference point, and the sea powers of the Hun had not sunk to their later corruption; so our vessel was made a genuine award, while we of her group were treated with all the reasonableness and thought due us as maritime detainees. So liberal, to be sure, was the discipline of our capturers, that five days after we were taken I figured out how to get away from alone in a little boat with water and arrangements for a decent timeframe.
At the point when I at long last regarded myself as untied and free, I had however little thought of my environmental factors. Never an able pilot, I could figure enigmatically by the sun and stars that I was fairly south of the equator. Of the longitude, I didn't know anything, and no island or

the shoreline was in sight. The weather conditions kept fair, and for uncounted days I floated carelessly underneath the burning sun; standing by either for some passing boat or to be projected on the shores of some tenable land. Yet, neither boat nor land showed up, and I started to surrender in my isolation upon the hurling vastnesses of solid blue.
The change happened while I dozed. Its subtleties I won't ever be aware of; for my sleep, however, disturbed and dream-pervaded, was persistent. When finally I awaked, it was to find myself half sucked into a foul span of repulsive dark soil which stretched out about me in tedious undulations as should have been obvious, and in which my boat lay grounded some distance away.
However one could well envision that my most memorable sensation would be of marveling at so gigantic and surprising a change of landscape, I was, truly, more sickened than dumbfounded; for there was in the air and the decaying soil an evil quality that chilled me deeply. The locale was rotten with the cadavers of rotting fish, and of other less describable things which I saw distending from the terrible mud of the ceaseless plain. Maybe I shouldn't expect to convey in simple words the unutterable ghastliness that can abide in outright
quietness and infertile enormity. There was nothing inside hearing, and nothing in sight save an immense reach of dark sludge, yet the actual culmination of the

quietness and the homogeneity of the scene mistreated me with a sickening trepidation.
The sun was blasting down from a sky that appeared to me practically dark in its cloudless brutality; like mirroring the inky bog underneath my feet. As I crept into the abandoned boat I understood that only one hypothesis could make sense of my situation. Through some uncommon volcanic disturbance, a part of the sea floor had probably been tossed to the surface, uncovering districts that for an incalculable large number of years had lain secret under incredible watery profundities. So extraordinary was the degree of the new land which had ascended underneath me, that I was unable to distinguish the slightest commotion of the flooding sea, strain my ears as I may. Nor were there any ocean fowl to go after the dead things.
For a few hours, I sat thinking or agonizing in the boat, which lay upon its side and managed the cost of a slight shade as the sun got across the sky. As the day advanced, the ground lost a portion of its tenacity and appeared liable to dry adequately to go in a brief time frame. That evening I dozed close to nothing, and the following day I made for myself a pack containing food and water, preliminary to an overland excursion looking for the evaporated ocean and conceivable salvage.
On the third morning, I found the dirt dry to the point of strolling effortlessly. The smell of the fish was goading, yet I was an excess of worried about graver things to mind so slight malevolent and set out

strongly for an obscure objective. The entire day I produced consistently toward the west, directed by a distant hummock that ascended higher than some other height on the moving desert. That evening I dug in, on the next day went toward the hummock, however, that article appeared hardly closer than when I had first espied it. By the fourth night, I accomplished the foundation of the hill, which ended up being a lot higher than it had shown up in a good way; a mediating valley setting it out with more keen help from the general surface. Too fatigued to even think about climbing, I dozed in the shadow of the slope.
I know not why my fantasies were wild to the point that evening; yet ere the winding down and the fabulously gibbous moon had transcended the eastern plain, I was conscious in a, not entirely settled to rest no more. Such dreams as I had encountered were a lot for me to persevere once more. What's more, in the sparkle of the moon, I perceived how hasty I had been to go by day. Without the brightness of the drying sun, my process would have cost me less energy; to be sure, I currently felt very ready to play out the climb that had prevented me at nightfall. Getting my pack, I began for the peak of the prominence.
I have said that the solid tedium of the moving plain was a wellspring of obscure repulsiveness to me; yet I think my shock was more noteworthy when I acquired the highest point of the hill and peered down the opposite side into a boundless pit or gorge, whose dark breaks the moon had not yet taken off sufficiently high to brighten. I felt myself on the edge of the world; looking over the edge into the fathomless bedlam of the timeless evening. Through my fear ran inquisitive memories of Heaven Lost and Satan's terrible move through the unfashioned domains of obscurity. As the moon moved higher overhead, I started to see that the slants of the valley were not exactly as opposite as I had envisioned. Edges and offshoots of rock managed the cost of simple tractions for a plummet, while after a drop of two or three hundred feet, the slant turned out to be extremely progressive. Asked on by a motivation that I can't dissect, I mixed with trouble down the stones and remained on the gentler slant underneath, looking into the Stygian deeps where no light had at this point entered.
At the same time, my consideration was caught by an immense and solitary item on the contrary slant, which rose steeply around 100 yards in front of me; an item that glimmered whitely in the recently given beams of the rising moon. That it was simply a huge piece of stone, I before long guaranteed myself; however I was aware of a particular impression that its shape and position were not entirely crafted Commonly. Closer examination filled me with sensations I can't communicate; for notwithstanding its tremendous greatness, and position in a chasm that had yawned at the lower part of the ocean since the world was youthful, I saw undeniably that the particular article was a very much molded stone monument whose monstrous mass had known the workmanship and maybe the love of the living and thinking animals.
Stupefied and terrified, yet not without a specific rush of the researcher's or alternately paleologist's pleasure, I analyzed my environmental factors all the more intently. The moon, presently close to the pinnacle, sparkled strangely and distinctively over the transcending soaks that surrounded the gorge and uncovered the way that a remote of water streamed at the base, twisting far away in the two bearings, and nearly lapping my feet as I remained on the slant. Across the abyss, the wavelets washed the foundation of the Cyclopean stone monument; on whose surface I could now follow the two engravings and unrefined models. The composing was in an arrangement of hieroglyphics obscure to me, and dissimilar to anything I had at any point found in books; comprising of the majority of the conventionalized sea-going images like fishes, eels, octopi, scavengers, mollusks, whales, and so forth. A few characters addressed marine
things that are obscure to the cutting-edge world, however, whose decaying structures I had seen on the sea rose plain.
It was the pictorial cutting, nonetheless, that did most to hold me entranced. Noticeable across the interceding water under their colossal size were a variety of bas-reliefs whose subjects would have invigorated the jealousy of a Doré. I feel that these things should portray men — at any rate, a specific kind of men; however, the animals were shown disporting like fishes in the waters of some marine cavern or giving proper respect at some solid altar with all the earmarks of being under the waves. Of their countenances and structures I dare not talk exhaustively; for the simple recognition causes me to develop faint. Twisted past the creative mind of a Poe or a Bulwer, they were human in everyday layout notwithstanding webbed hands and feet, amazingly wide and fat lips, shiny, protruding eyes, and different elements less wonderful to review. Interestingly, they appeared to have been etched seriously messed up with regards to their grand foundation; for one of the animals was displayed in the demonstration of killing a whale addressed as however minimal bigger than himself. I commented, as I say, their peculiarity and unusual size; however, in a second concluded that they were simply the fanciful divine forces of some crude fishing or marine clan; some clan whose last relative had died periods before the primary progenitor of the Piltdown or Neanderthal Man was conceived. Awestruck at this startling look into a past the origination of the most trying anthropologist, I stood pondering while the moon cast eccentric reflections on the quiet channel before me. Then abruptly I saw it. With simply a slight stirring to stamp its ascent to the surface, the thing slid into view over the dim waters. Huge, Polyphemus-like, and detestable, it dashed like a fabulous beast of bad dreams to the stone monument, about which it flung its
colossal textured arms, while I